Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Matt Leinart Draft Blog

Day #1

Matt Leinart takes a look back at what got him to this position in the first place:

I played football in high school, and I knew that I was pretty good at it and I could play, so I knew I wanted to play in college and the NFL -- but I never thought I'd be a top draft pick. You say "yeah, I want to be," but you never think that it will actually happen, especially for me, because I haven't played football my whole life. I love football, and that's what I wanted to do, but I also played baseball and I thought I was going to do other things, not play in the NFL. Once I got to high school and started playing football, and that sort of led me to college, it was obvious that I wanted to be in the NFL -- but that's not what you think about. You never think you're going to win the Heisman Trophy; you don't know that those things are going to happen. But then, when you get closer in the process, you start to realize this is real: "I'm living the dream, but it's reality." It's been fun and a great ride.

Regarding the draft, everything kind of started on my Pro Day on April 2 -- kind of the culmination of the whole process, or at least the physical part. After that, I had private workouts set up to visit teams. I've visited three teams -- Tennessee, New Orleans and Oakland -- the past few weeks. I've also had a private workout with Tennessee and a private workout with the New York Jets the past two weeks.

Click here for more

No comments: