Sunday, February 19, 2006

Madden 2006 - Mid-game Adjustments Part 2

by VG Staff Writer Lbzrule

On offense I want to run a philosophy that is simple, but it dictates. Defensively, the ideal is to run the same thing: something that is simple but dicates. However, we are not always so lucky. Defensively we must look. Unfortunately we do not have precise scouting to know what the opponent likes to do so it is all on the fly. So what I do on the first couple of series to gauge what is going on is this. I'll have a paper and pen next to me. On this sheet of paper I'm going to make 3 rows and about 5 to 6 columns. The 3 rows are R = Run, P= Pass, PA = PA. The 5 to 6 columns are 1st down, 2nd and Long, 2nd and short, 3rd and long, 3rd and medium, 3rd and short. If he runs on 1st down I put a check on the 1st down column under the R row. Right now you are not really worried about formation as much as what he is doing because people tend to think in patterns. Once I get the information I need off the first two series, then I tighten up. All the while I am simply going to run a base look. If I can defend the opponent with the base look, I'm not going to move into any other special fronts. Not going to do any special blitzes. Only when they start giving me some really bad fits will I move into making adjustments. You can do this same thing for offense btw. Make a chart and mark down what's happening on first down, 2nd and so forth. If he is always 8 in the box on 1st down or always blitzing on first down then that should give you some idea of where to attack.

I think what we have seen thus far in the Playoffs is exactly that. Looking back, notice the Giants D had to start moving Gibril Wilson down in the box because they could not stop the run. On first downs the Giants had Wilson in the box alot, thus expecting the run, the Panthers sold it to them that way. Unfortunately their adjustments did not help them. I saw them move into several different fronts but to no avail, guys just couldn't tackle. The Panthers made an adjustment too. They used PA and started passing on 1st down. Also they looked at the Giant CB's and how they were lined up. When they saw them off they changed the play. Quick screen to Steve Smith for mega yardage.

No comments: